Treks and Trails India – Chadar Trek (Frozen River Trek in Ladakh)
January 8, 2020 @ 8:00 am - January 16, 2020 @ 8:00 am UTC+5.5Rs.24500
Chadar Trek – Frozen River Trek in Ladakh
Our trek in Chadar starts from the mountain town of Leh. The best way to reach Leh is by flight as this will help the trekkers to catch a glimpse of the snowcapped mountains. This trek is named Chadar because it is over the Zanskar River which lies frozen during the winter.
Our trek start point is a small village of Chilling as this is the start of the frozen Zanskar River. Our trek in Chadar is filled with thrilling experiences with nature as we walk on the frozen river. The ice can be dangerous at the time, and we as trekkers need to figure out the safe paths over the precarious sheet below the feet. We walk on the frozen river and camp in the caves along the river banks.
We even set up tents to avoid discomfort for our trekkers on the most stable ice floor. We recommend all our fellow trekkers to carry warm multilayer cloths as the temperature is below freezing point and drops further after sun settles down.
We will set up multiple camping sites across the trek for food and other supplies. One should make sure to have enough food to keep warm as well as to continue the momentum. Ice picks, trekking boots, several layers of extra warm clothing are a compulsion in such conditions.
Chadar trek is an opportunity for the local Zanskari people for income generation and livelihood. Zanskari people are proud experiential trekkers to explore the routes along with the fantastic mountain ghost stories.
Batch for Chadar Trek
- 8th January 2020
(if you want other than this batch please call us)
Highlights of Chadar Trek
- Ladakh being our start point of our trek is beautiful with its picturesque mountain peaks, lakes and scenic valley.
- Our Chadar trek is at the deep of the whirly passage of the snow-clad mountain. The frozen river trekkers are from different corners of the world.
- Chadar trek named after the thick blanket of the snow on the river.
- Chadar trek is one of the most challenging and tricky treks in the world.
- Thick blanket at times may have cracks causing troubles for trekkers. One may have to hike through the snowy rocks and boulder beside the river.
Basic Details of Chadar Trek
- Region: Leh, Ladakh, J & K
- Duration: 9 Days/8 nights
- Grade: Difficult
- Max Altitude: 11,100 Ft.
- Approx. Trekking: 62 km.
- Cost: Rs. 24,500 + GST. (per person)
How to Reach
In winter you can reach Leh by flight only.
- Air India
- Go Air
The flight tickets get very expensive at the last hour; it is advisable to book your tickets well in advance to get a cheap fair.
Chadar Trek Itinerary
Day 1: Reporting day at Leh
Trekking experience starts with the bird’s eye view of the Ladakh city with the layers of snow-clad mountains with the drop in temperature the minute you land at the airport. Grab your bags and get ready for a warm welcome as you meet our representative at the airport and assist you in checking in at your respective hotel. Acclimatize yourself with the climate of high altitude. Overnight stay at Leh.
Day 2: Acclimatize your body
Today is the rest day. In high altitude treks, people mostly suffer from AMS, that’s why we suggest you to take rest and acclimatize your body. So you can get ready for thrilling Chaddar trek. Overnight stay at Leh.
Day 3: Medical check-up and medical certificate collection
The medical certificate is mandatory for Chaddar Trek. Today will do a medical check-up at SNM hospital, Leh.
Day 04: Drive to Shingra Koma and trek to Tsomo Paldar (65 km, 4-5 hrs drive and 3km, 2 hrs trek)
After early morning breakfast will move towards Shingra Koma, it’s around 4-5 hrs drive from Leh. From Shingra Koma will start the trek towards Tsomo Paldar. Overning stay at Tsomo Paldar campsite.
Day 05: Tsomo Paldar to Tibb trek (15 km, 7-8 hrs)
Wake up early in the morning and have breakfast. After breakfast will start the trek towards Tibb Caves. On the way, you can see some frozen waterfalls. Overnight stay at Tibb campsite near Tibb caves.
Day 06: Tibb to Naerak Camp trek (13 km, 6-7 hrs)
Today will start our day early. After breakfast start trek towards Naerak camp. Which is the coldest campsite of Chadar trek, today will reach the iconic landmark of Chadar Trek the frozen waterfall. Our campsite will be 15-20 minutes away from the frozen waterfall. At Naerak campsite temperature goes to -30 degrees at night, so you should wear the proper layer of clothes at this camp. Overnight stay at Naerak camp.
Day 07: Naerak to Tibb trek (13 km, 6-7 hrs)
Today will start our return trek to Tibb cave. The return route would not be the same as the river can rapidly react to any change in the temperature. On the return, journey enjoy valley view and click pictures. Overnight stay at Tibb.
Day 08: Tibb to Shingra Koma trek (9 km, 5-6 hrs) and drive back to Leh (75 km, 4-5 hrs)
Today will start our return journey to Leh. After breakfast will start the trek towards Shingra Koma via crossing Gyalpo. On the way, you see pugmarks of snow animals and if you are lucky you can spot a snow leopard. Will reach Shingra Koma by evening and move towards Leh by vehicle. Overnight stay at Leh.
Day 09: Departure from Leh
Check out from the hotel and move towards the airport to catch your return flight for home. Our representatives will help you and drop you off at the Leh KBR Airport. Fly back to your respective home with a memory of a lifetime and an everlasting smile.
- It is expected to carry your personal luggage on your own during the trek as you are challenging yourself against the odds, but in some cases, if someone fell tired, the porters can carry your extra personal luggage for a fee of approx. INR 800 per bag per day.
- If you don’t want to continue Chadar Trails once you arrived in Leh or you are not physically well and wanted to Stay in Hotel – Charges extra as actuals
- During Chadar Trail Trekking Days (4th to 8th day as per scheduled) – if you wish to come back to Leh Hotel – Car Charges and Hotel Charges Extra as actuals
- Any Medical Emergency or Accident – It’s complete your responsibility and Expenses
- Due to natural calamities or poor ice layer formation on the Zanskar River for the Chaddar, no refund will be made, but we will try our best to could organize a substitute tour in Leh around only.
- Accommodation in Guest house/ Hotel in Leh on the 01st, 2nd, 3rd and the last day
- Camping during the treks in dome tents, according to the itinerary
- All veg meals during the trek
- Well experienced and qualified trek leader, guide and the support staff
- First aid kit plus oxygen cylinder
- Transport from Hotel/ Guest house to trekking point and return
- Airport picks and drops
- Food during Leh stay
- Leh Permit and government charges
- Medical cost
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Porters to carry personal luggage
- Tips, monastery and Monument entry fees, Mineral water, Extra tours and anything which is not specifically mentioned in the cost inclusions
Buy ticket here https://www.treksandtrails.org/tours/chadar-trek
For registration and confirmation transfer Rs. 25,725.00 per person in the given a/c.
Account Name: Treks and Trails
Bank Name: Axis Bank
Account Number: 917020047534079
Branch: Churchgate – Mumbai
IfSC Code: UTIB0000695
Account Type: Current Account
UPI ID – [email protected]
Once payment is done, please send an email to [email protected] with Transaction ID, Participant Name, email ID, Mobile phone number, emergency contact number.
For any queries please call or email:
Treks and Trails Mumbai 8828746865 / 8828004949 (11 am to 7 pm only – Monday to Saturday)
The company owns the right to apply the cancellation charges; any legal matter is subjected to Leh jurisdiction only.
In the event of making cancellation of the trek, the company must be informed before in writing, the cancellation charges will be effective from the date we receive cancellation notification.
The cancellation charges are as follows:
- Up to 60 days: 40% of the trek cost will be refund
- Less than 59 days: no refund
- No show No refund