Travel Buffs: Chadar – The Frozen River Trek
January 9, 2020 @ 8:00 am - January 17, 2020 @ 9:00 am UTC+5.5₹ 24500
Chadar – The Frozen River Trek
Activities: Winter Trek
Duration: 8 Nights/ 9 Days
Cost: ₹ 24,500/- + Govt. Fees
The Chaddar is a lifeline to Zanskari people as the winter cut off the regular access. The pride and prestige of the Zanskari’s which connects them to different cultural and traditional background people with whom they exchange the life saving techniques during harsh winter climate which drops to -40º C. Chaddar is mostly walking on ice sheets formed on the flowing water river surface of Zanskar, which connets the outside world and in fact the Ladakh region and its people.
Zanskari people praise the Chaddar trail rather than complaining to Almighty for remaining isolated from the rest of the countries, as a result an opportunity to spend most of their time with the family and friends. Also conserving their tradition, cheering Local butter tea and playing local games during winter. The Chaddar also offers them an opportunity to earn for generation and livelihood. The Zansakri feel proud in leading the trekkers for Chaddar, which also makes them the finest guides in exploring and experimenting with new and challenging routes. The Zanskari will tell you the mountain ghost stories and the deities which protects the Zanskari from failing during the winter harsh climate.
Day 1: Arrival to Leh
Leh situated at an altitude of more than 3500 metres (11,500 ft.) above sea level. During winters most passes to Leh are closed. Since the roads closed, one needs to take flight for the highest airport in the world, Leh. As soon you touch the ground, you will feel dry and cold air, but what will take all your attention is the haughty, snow-capped mountains around you, a sight to be remembered forever. After completing the arrival formalities, will take a taxi and leave for the pre-arranged hotel.
Enjoy an overnight stay in the hotel.
Day 2: Acclimatization Day
As per the regulations and keeping in mind the health problems that trekkers might face (AMS), anyone doing the Chadar Trek should be at least spend two days in Leh for the body to get fully acclimatized to the weather conditions. It is unalterable and it is essential and is to be strictly followed by every trekker. Trekkers can spend the day by visiting the places around the city.
Day 3: Medical check-up at SNM Hospital
Due to the perplexing nature of this specific trek, the Government makes it mandatory for participants to obtain medical certification before undertaking Chadar trek. A clearance certificate will be issued by the authorities after a medical checkup only when participant is satisfactorily fit and acclimatized for the trek.
Day 4: Trek from Shingra Koma to Tsomo Paldar
The trek on the Chaddar starts from today. After breakfast drive to Shingra Koma and trek till Tsomo Paldar.
(Drive 65 kms, 4 – 5 hrs/ 3 kms trek 2 hrs)
After enjoying morning tea and breakfast, will take a drive to Shingra Koma. The drive takes along the Indus River where the confluence of Indus and Zanskar River meets at Nimoo village. This ride is definitely not for the faint-hearted as rough roads and hairpin bends are quite common on this route. The sight of the surrounding high mountains will give you a sense of awe. After a while, you will have to deboard from the vehicle and trek towards Somo Paldar campsite. Your Chadar trek expedition will start from here.
While reaching the camp our experienced staff will provide you the basic information to survive in the harsh cold climate.
Enjoy the huge peaks all around you with hot cup of coffee/herbal tea. To get you warm take a little short hike into the mountains and capture the overwhelming look of the frozen river. The temperature drops down in the night. Take your dinner and go for sleep in the tent.
Day 5 – Trek Tsomo Paldar to Tibb (15kms / 7-8 hrs):
Get refreshed after spending first night in the valley, have a wholesome breakfast and a hot cup of tea will revive your senses in such subzero conditions. Pack your thing & get ready for trek to Tibb caves. This trail offers some astounding waterfalls flowing through snow covered mountains. Hot Lunch will be served midway. Walking further for few hours we will reach Tibb campsite. Our tents will be at mountain side, enjoy the view & get some astonishing photographs.
Day 6 – Trek Tibb to Nerak (13kms/ 6-7 hrs)
Early morning, get fresh & gear up for most exciting part of Chadar – Nerak frozen waterfall. We will stretch our legs to total distance of 14 km to reach the spot. So do proper breakfast & get prepared by 8 am. Follow guides instructions & start the ice trail.
Along the valley may notice few caves in mountains, used by Zanskari folks since centuries as their shelters in midway. Will enjoy stunning view of the valley & the ice trail. Final spot at frozen waterfall, cherish the moment, play around & do lots of clicking pics.
Lots of stories about unpredictable weather & formation of Chadar in air. Probably one may experience this, might find new layers at some places or nonexistence of earlier ice formation along the route while coming back from the same route. A stunning experience of winter in Himalayas.
Day 7- Trek Naerak to Tibb (13kms / 5-6 hrs)
Time to return back, our journey back will start today. The trail may be different while going back as the frozen river forms & deforms with the changing temperature. The beauty of the surrounding valley remains same, click few more pics along the route.
Day 8 – Tibb to Shingra Koma & Back to Leh
(9kms Trek 5-6kms/ 75kms drive, 4-5 hrs)
Early morning once again, finish your breakfast & prepare for last part of the trek. Today will leave to starting point of Chadar & then back to Leh.
Get the glimpse of valley, frozen river & high mountains once, you may find pugmarks of wild animals like ibex or snow leopard en route. By evening will be drive back to Leh.
Day 9 – Departure from Leh
Pack your thing & get ready to fly back home. Check out and depart to Leh KBR Airport.
One of the most challenging trek accomplished, pride & smiling face on way back. One will cherish the astounding memories throughout the life. One learns technique & skills to survive in harsh weather conditions & also experienced the hard life of Zanskari folks. The lifestyle of these mountain folks, “Zanskari” will teach one bravery to fight all odds of life & will to survive, earns respect for them.
1. Accommodation in Guest house/ Hotel in Leh on first three Days and the last day. Camping in Dome Tents during the treks according to the itinerary (Twin/ Triple/ Quadruple sharing as per availability)
2. All Meals during the trek (only Veg).
3. Well experienced and qualified local trek leader and the support staff.
4. First aid kit plus oxygen cylinder.
01. Airport pickup and drop.
02. Leh Permit, Government Fees, Medical cost and any other fees as applicable.
03. Any kind of Personal expenses viz. packaged water bottles, Soft drinks, Laundry, etc.
04. Meals during stay at Leh
05. Travel insurance.
06. Porters to carry personal luggage.
07. Tips, Local Sightseeing and anything which is not specifically mentioned in the cost inclusions.
08. Any additional Expenses/ cost incidental to any change in the itinerary / stay caused by reason beyond our control such as Natural Calamities (Land Slides, Floods etc.), any accidents, medical evacuations, riots, strikes, evacuation costs, flight cancellation, etc.
09. Participants who returns in the middle of trek for any kind of reason whatsoever once we leave for same from Leh, shall bear all the cost including transportation back to Leh, stay at Leh, food etc.
10. Any kind of refund for unutilised tour plan services.
11. Any other tax or service charge, stay charge that could be enforced during this period will be extra and need to be borne by Participants.
12. Any service not specifically mentioned in the Includes sections.
♦ It is expected to carry your personal luggage on your own during the trek as you are challenging yourself against the odds, but in some cases if someone feel tired, the porters can carry your extra personal luggage for a fee of approximately INR 800 per bag per day.
♦ To book the Chadar trek you can call us personally for more clarification and information. You can use online payment/ cheque deposit/ demand draft options or could deposit cash in to the account no. Once the payment is done, your booking conformation will be shared to you.
♦ Booking in advance will allow enough time for preparation and also to choose the departure dates as per convenience. It will also help you in cost cutting while booking flight tickets. We advise you to book your international or domestic Air flight tickets well in advance.
By registering or joining any of the program organised by Travel Buffs, you acknowledge that you have read, understood & agreed to the following terms & conditions.
TERMS & CONDITION:
- Leaders’ decision shall be final & abiding to all, till completion of the trek/ programme.
- Smoking, Chewing tobacco & consumption of Alcohol is strictly not allowed on the trek/ programme.
- Everyone is expected to follow safety protocols defined by the leaders.
- Polluting trek route/ camp site is strictly prohibited. Strictly no littering throughout the event/ trek.
- You acknowledge that the photographs taken during the activity which can be used for publicity purpose. You consent to let organisers photograph you and let them to use for publicity purpose & also consent to allow organisers to use the photograph clicked by you for publicity purpose.
- There is possibility of injury during activities & programmes and you are aware that outdoor activities bears inborn risk of personal injury.
- You are joining an outdoor activity where any incident/ Natural calamity may happen & you agree that organiser shall not be held responsible for the any accident, mishap (including death) caused by any circumstances (artificial or natural).
- During emergency situation, your consent to any medical treatment recommended by a qualified medical practitioner (this could include inoculations, blood transfusions, surgery or the use of anaesthetic). Read *Medical Disclaimer*
- You realise a certain level of acceptable behaviour is mandatory to participate in outdoor programmes/ treks and that you may excluded from programmes/ treks if this level is not maintained. You acknowledge event leaders right to expel you from the group if you does not follow instruction of the leader/ misbehave. Further you consent once you are expelled from the group; organisers & leaders does not owe any kind of liability towards you.
- Travel Buffs have all authority to make any changes/ cancel the events/ programmes without prior notice.
Please read “Terms and Conditions” before joining the event.
For Registrations call Team Travel Buffs: –
Jaydeep : 98333 96615 / 75061 05004
Kaustubh : 97571 46611
If not reachable, SMS or WhatsApp.
E-mail id: [email protected]
PAYMENT POLICY & ACCOUNT DETAILS: –
- Bookings For all scheduled events/ programmes will be strictly made on “First Come, First Serve” basis only.
- Bookings only through 40% Advance payment (Non-Refundable and Non-Transferable at any circumstances).
- Balance amount one must pay prior 60 days of start of the event.
- One must inquire availability of the seats before doing any kind of payments.
Account details –
Account No: 1313213446
Name: TRAVEL BUFFS
IFS code: KKBK0000640
Bank Name: KOTAK MAHINDRA BANK
UPI: for payment our id – [email protected]
Please share Screenshot of the transaction
Once payment is done, please email details to “[email protected]” including Transaction ID, Participant Name, Email ID, Mobile Number, Blood Group, Emergency Contact No. with concern person name with subject line as “Event Title & Date”
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY: –
We owns the right to apply the cancellation charges; any legal matter is subjected to Leh jurisdiction only.
In the event of making cancellation of the trek, one must inform us by sending mail to “[email protected]”, the cancellation charges will be effective from the date we receive cancellation notification.
Cancellation requests are not taken over phone. However, you can phone to check whether your cancellation has been processed.
How to make this Chaddar a memorable one?
We always aim for responsible and sustainable tourism, and as a team we also believe your participation and cooperation in achieving our goal, since you will be trekking in an eco-friendly zone with varieties of flora and fauna, make sure that you do not litter this environment which are home for many endangered species and also make sure to bring back the waste produced during the trek for proper disposal.
- Educate yourself about the environment, ecology, customs and traditions of Ladakh.
- Minimise your carbon footprint by avoiding and not using plastics of any kind.
- It is advisable to drink proper fluid/water to avoid dehydration.
- Keep all pollutants away from the river, streams and other water sources.
- Do not urinate or defecate near water sources or camping ground.
- Ladakh is rich in monasteries, other religious and historical sites, keeping in view the sanctity, abide by the guidelines and follow the instruction set by the local authorities.
- Do not interfere, interrupt or disturb the locals you encounter during the trek, respect the privacy of the host; always seek permission before taking their pictures.
- Do not carry any sort of drugs or alcohol, refrain from these activities.
- Take happy memories and leave nothing but you footprints.
Note: abide and follow the instructions given by the trek leader/guide in order to make this trek a lifetime memorable.
◘ Equipment provided:
1. Dome shaped tents.
2. Thick mattress.
3. Sleeping Bag
4. Dinning tent.
5. Toilet tent
6. Kitchen tent.
8. Ice axe.
1. First aid kit.
2. Oxygen cylinder.
1. Professional local trek leader.
2. Professional local cook.
3. Professional local Porters and staff.
◘ Participants/trekkers to carry things:
1. Personal bag/belonging, waterproof backpack with a capacity of 70 lit.
2. A day bag/ small backpack around 20 – 30 lit.
3. Personal sleeping bag Inner
4. Walking stick/trekking pole.
5. Head torch with spare batteries, Power Banks, chargers, etc.
6. Trekking/hiking shoes and floaters/ slippers.
7. Woollen thermal inner vest and lower.
8. Feather Jacket, Fleece jacket & Double Layer waterproof pant (min 2)
9. One Woollen and one water proof gloves.
10. Woollen monkey cap, Balaclava, Woollen Mufflers, Buffs
12. Woollen socks, Trekking socks 6 – 7 pairs.
13. Personal clothing for tour, trekking pants and T shirts (Full sleeves)
14. Thermal bottles 1 lit (min 2)
15. U/V protected sun glass (Cat – 4), Sun hat/ cap.
16. Sunscreen lotion SPF40+, Cold cream and body lotion, Lip gel.
17. Water purifying liquid, Micoderm powder, Camphor tablets (Bhimsen camphor), Glucon D/ Enerzal, Warmee heating pads.
18. Quick dry Towel/ cotton pancha and Toiletries (Toilet paper, hand sanitizer, hand wash
soaps, toothpaste and brush etc.)
19. Dry fruits and chocolate bars/ energy bars.
20. High Altitude Medicines and other medicines with consultation to your Doctor only.
21. Gum Boots
1. ID proof like: passport, voter’s card, Adhar card, driving licence etc.
2. Medical fitness certificate.
3. Self declaration.
4. Indemnity certificate.
5. Passport size photos 04 nTreks T